Saturday, July 19, 2014

First Saturday night in Sydney

You can see our first Saturday daytime experiences here.

After our city tour, we decided to hit up one of the bars recommended by Justine (our tour guide). We stopped for a quick lunch at The Rocks Market to get some tasty kabobs and then headed west. The Argyle was on our path, so we stopped in for a look because we heard it is a fun bar.

Hidden courtyard entrance
Entryway. That glass piece in the middle that is hard to see is the DJ Booth
We only stopped in and did not stay for drinks but hope to visit the venue again in the future. This was because our ultimate goal was Lord Nelson's. We didn't know what exactly Lord Nelson's was, but if Justine had recommended it, then it was obviously just as awesome as she is.

It is also the oldest Pub in Sydney
(This seems to be a contested matter once I Googled it. I shall investigate.)
Our menu
Our Australia Brewery beers
You may have seen us being this happy on FB
Lord Nelson's wasn't bad. I think the best part of it was that it was warm and the beers weren't as overwhelmingly expensive as they have so far been elsewhere. The best way to describe it was 'quaint.' Is that an appropriately British word?


By this point, we were hungry. The four of us decided that we really wanted to go see the sunset from the Sydney Eye Tower, so we headed back home to change and get ready before setting out for a night on the town.

View from the street level
The Sydney Tower Eye is within the Westfield Shopping Centre. Yes, this is the same Westfield that is buying up every mall in existence Stateside. (Side note: Our lovely tour guide told us that Australia has the most shopping outlets per capita compared to any other nation. I need to check this information but I would not doubt it based on the number of stores I've come across. Cory is lucky that I don't have a shopping habit.) 

The Tower Eye is the highest building in Sydney. As Cory and my's flight into Sydney did not land during daytime, this would be our first birds-eye view of the city. (By the way, I feel like that sentence did not sound grammatically correct....)

Trying to squish in the elevator
Our trip up.
During other portions of our ride, the image on the right showed video of people in the other elevators.
We waved a lot.
The most amazing cocktail EVER
View to the south
To the southeast 
Sunset to the west. Darling Harbour is in the foreground.
I included this mostly because Cory is reflected in the window.
A similar view without the sun obscuring the image. This is one of those rare times when I wish I had a fancy camera because with the naked eye you could see the Blue Mountains under that cloud line.
There I am in the window!
Looking towards the northwest. 
Just to the right of the previous picture
This is looking east-northeast. The entrance to Sydney Harbour is off in the distance in the top right corner.
Yep, that's the Pacific Ocean from half a world away.
After our adventure in the Tower Eye, we went to Surry Hills for dinner. At 5:30 on a Saturday, it was completely dark outside, very cold, and we were on the wait list for an hour to have dinner. Dinner was tasty but not I'm not sure if I would call it special....

Cory and I were still getting used to the time difference at this point, so after dinner we (and by we, I mean I) wanted to do was go to sleep even though it was only like 8:30 or 9:00. I drifted off while Cory went to play poker. (Is that a surprise for anyone?)

The next morning we headed out to the beach! Has anyone heard of Bondi Beach?

1 comment:

  1. I hope you guys have fun. How many Floirda caps did Cory take with him? JSN

    ReplyDelete